Saturday, October 9, 2010

Post 3

In chapter six we learned about false dilemma and the slippery slope concept. i felt that both of these topics should be addressed because the slippery slope concept i thought was interesting and false dilemma was discussed on our test we took last week.A false dilemma normally comes up when you find yourself thinking "is this a versus claim?" False dilemmas occur when the"or" claim does not list all of the other possibilities. My parents tell me i have to give up gambling or i am going to be in debt. This or claim that my parents are making is not necessarily true because i could potentially make money and acquire no debt whatsoever.
Slippery slope argument sorta ties into false dilemma because it also talks about statements being false. i sort of got a little confused with the two subjects. A slippery slope argument is a bad argument that uses a chain of conditionals at least one is false or dubious. slippery slopes can be exaggerated in my opinion let us refer to my poker example above. If i gamble online then ill get addicted. then ill spend money i do not have and i will go into debt. This chain is all correct only if i become addicted. If i do not come addicted then the other statements most likely become false.

1 comment:

  1. I used the example of slippery slope and false dilemma as well. I agree that the concepts can be a bit confusing (and I hope I got them right as well). Your example of the false dilemma was good, because you offered alternate possibilities to the argument presented, which made the conditionals false or dubious. I believe the slippery slope would go a few steps further in presenting a chain of reasoning, possibly starting with you should give up gambling, because you will go in debt, if you go in debt you will not be able to make your car payment, not making your car payment results in no car, no car results in not be able to get to school, etc. Until you can conclude that the beginning concludes the end (If A, then C). But I like the examples your presented.

    ReplyDelete